Preparatory schools around the world are embracing the collaborative learning benefits of the Harkness philosophy of teaching. Harkness teaching uses one large oval table with pull out tablets for each classroom to foster teacher and student discussion. Harkness Tables are named after the major American philanthropist Edward Harkness (1874 – 1940). Edward Harkness donated $5.8 million in 1930 to Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, New Hampshire to limit class size to 12 students, while also requiring the teacher to share an oval table with students for class discussion rather than lecture. This style of learning provides great opportunities for student led dialogue and questions. It is important to carefully consider your chair selection for your Harkness Table classroom. Here are a few points to consider before buying your Harkness chairs:
- Most company’s only warrant their hardwood chairs for 5 years against manufacturing defects.
- All Eustis Chairs manufactured with our patented Eustis Joint® warrantied for 20 years against joint failure (where most chairs break).
- Eustis Chair offers stylish chairs, but never at the cost of comfort.
- All Eustis Chair seats use 2.5″ of high density foam for maximum sitting comfort.
- Eustis Chair wood seats and saddled and sanded for comfort and for varied seating positions.
- Eustis Chair offers a wide variety of chair designs to fit every style of decor.
- Eustis Chair builds all of our chairs in the USA from any hardwood specie and any stain color to perfectly match your Harkness Tables.